Voting

Sunday, April 18, 2010

My identity crisis!

It seems an unwritten rule in my life that when ever I judge something or make an absolute in my mind--that thing happens to me. For example, my sister's son sometimes calls her by her first name. She doesn't mind at all. I thought in my head, "Oh I do not like that--my kids better always call me mom." So of course, Kes has begun calling me Riki. I think it is because Wally, the little boy I watch, calls me that as do all of the neighborhood kids and Levi (on occasion will call me that too). So what do I hear from my two year old daughter? "Riki, I'm talkin to you!" or "Riki, I''m thirsty!" I've tried several strategies for correction. I say, "I'm not Riki, I'm momma." to which she replies, "No. Riki." Aaahhh. I've tried ignoring her until she calls me mom. This usually just causes her to say my name at a much louder decimal. I think we are making progress though...she only calls me Riki about 50 percent of the time. She is so different from Bailey who when she was three was asked what her mom and dad's names where and told them "mom, and dad." I work hard to earn that special title mom (i.e. kissing booboohs, giving hugs, making meals, struggling through homework and science fair projects, doing copeous loads of laundry, playing barbies and GI Joe) and dang it they are going to call me that! I will take mom, mommy, momma, madre, mother, and even momma seta--but dang it not Riki. I feel quite strongly about this as you can see. Mother's day is coming up and all I want is for my two year old to call me mom!

3 comments:

  1. It's so confusing to little children. Next time she needs her diaper changed, tell her to ask Riki to do it, because you're the mamma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh, Shelby went through the same little thing...one for the memory book I guess! I love how you put it though, we do work hard at being a mom so we should be called MOM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep...Gideon does it too. He also thinks that he can call on me for prayer at dinner time. We say "Gideon fold your arms" and then he says "Emily" in his commanding voice.

    ReplyDelete