Voting

Sunday, August 8, 2010

The little ironies of life....

This morning I was sleeping peacefully when I awoke with a start at 6:00 am to...CROWING! You have got to be kidding me! Is our little Henny Penny a he? No. Levi was up too and we looked it up on the computer. Sometimes hens just crow. Also, during our research on the chicken, we found out it is not the Wyandotte that we thought...oh no...it is an ornamental chicken called a Sebright---which means it isn't good for meat or eggs...and it crows! Already we were trying to slide under the radar as there is an ordinance against chickens in town--so obviously we can't keep a chicken that crows. The irony is of course, that we found all of this out AFTER spending $70 dollars to make a coop and run and to buy 50 lbs of chicken food on our "free" chicken (not to mention hauling it clear across the state). The funny thing is, I am really sad (also ironic, as I was the most opposed to Henny Penny at the beginning). I had my heart set on having a chicken and getting fresh eggs. I don't think Bridger is too heart broken--when I told him we would have to get rid of it--he drummed up a few tears and then said (not 30 seconds later) can I get a parrot then?

3 comments:

  1. You guys are getting quite the assortment of animals in your home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris says it's not a Sebright--it's too big. It's probably a gold laced wyandotte. Look on the back of its legs. If it's growing spurs it's a rooster. So you may be able to keep it if it stops crowing, and your neighbors don't get annoyed.

    ReplyDelete