Voting

Friday, May 6, 2011

kidney stones verses child birth...

On Tuesday I went for a walk and at the end of it my back started hurting...and hurting...and hurting...I chalked it up to the fact that I am very pregnant and out of shape. I thought, I should sit down and rest--but it was a busy day and I didn't have time. By about two in the afternoon I started having contractions too. They where irregular and I wasn't too worried--but my back was still killing me. Finally, I called my doctor and she told me to come in. On the way over I kept thinking...I can't have my baby...it doesn't even have a name yet!
Once I got there, they monitored me for a while and then gave me a shot to stop my contractions--which worked in about an hour. But my back was still killing me! Turns out I was going to deliver something else--a little hard piece of calcium--(actually, I ended up "passing" four stones in total!) Not fun! The biggest piece was literally no bigger than my pinkie nail...yet the pain! I have to say--kidney stones are way worse than having babies!
I spent Tuesday night in the hospital in Miles City on Morphine trying to manage the pain. My urethra was completely blocked and my kidney was swollen and full of fluid--and infected on top of everything else! The next day they sent me to the hospital in Billings because they felt I needed to have a stint surgically inserted and couldn't do it in Miles City. On the way to the hospital my blockage must have moved down because suddenly my pain was manageable. I spent the next day and night in the Billings Hospital and ended up passing three stones that night. The next day when they did an ultrasound on my kidneys they discovered one last small stone in my bladder which I ended up passing last night. I just want to say thank you to all the friends and family who called and sent texts wishing me well. I felt very loved!A special thank you to all the friends who watched our kids and brought in meals--I don't know how we would have done it without you! Bless you! I have to say when I do have my baby now, it will be a walk in the park compared to the kidney stones...

8 comments:

  1. Kidney stones during pregnancy is just not even allowed...I am SO sorry that you had to experience them! It is an aweful thing to have to go through and I totally agree, Kidney Stones are WORSE than child birth! At least in a contraction you get relief between, but with the stones you just have a constant contraction! YUCK! I am so glad that all is well! Are you feeling okay after all of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riki,
    I am so sorry to hear of your kidney stones. Please call us the next time you are here in Miles City HRH. We only live a block from the hospital. Our number is in the phone book under Jay Harvey.

    Take care and God Bless,
    Denise Harvey - Christa Schoenfeld's mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be so thankful when little Stone Sloan is born (full term), so that you can feel well again...not well rested, but hopefully no more colds, asthma, or kidney stones for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear how you have been!! I hope your last few weeks will go by quickly and that you will feel as good as you can for them. I can't wait to see a picture of the little guy and hear what name you have chosen. Good luck and I hope all goes smoothly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Riki, that sounds horrible! Were you in that government class with Mr. LaFordge senior year when he spent a whole class period describing his kidney stone experience in detail? I think that was the longest class lecture he ever gave. I'm glad that it is all over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Riki,

    Ouch! That must have been awful. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

    Yes, I too, remember Mr. LaFordge's explanation of kidney stones.

    You are near the finish line it sounds like for pain...I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I didn't know you ended up having four stones! OUCH!!! I know first hand how bad those things hurt...I can't imagine going through that while pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry! I am glad that you are feeling a better.

    ReplyDelete