Voting

Friday, February 12, 2010

Sick kids and the school nurse...

Our family has been fighting head colds the last couple weeks (except Kes who has had a cold for a month--and I finally took her in and she had and ear infection and bronchitis--and I thought she was just cranky because the binky was gone). Anyways, Bridger stayed home from school on Wednesday because he wasn't feeling well. This lasted till about 11--when he forgot he was "sick" and started running around playing with Bailey. I do have a rule that if he stays home sick--he has to lay down and take a nap after lunch. He did comply with this. But thirty minutes later he was downstairs asking if he could play computer games. Oh bless his heart! Anyways, I sent him to school the next day and not even a half hour after school started I got a call from the nurse (I think she must have our number on speed dial). Bridger is complaining of a sore throat and we have had strep going around. I told her, I looked at his throat he is fine. I am sure she thought I was a little calloused. But you see Bridger is never one to pass on any opportunity to come home sick--that combined with the fact that he has the pain tolerance of a flea--means he is in the nurses office a lot. For example, Bridger was at school four days this week...I got three calls from the nurse's office. This morning (because Valentines day party is today) he bounced out of bed with (its a miracle) no sore throat! However, before 9 I got a call saying, "this is the nurse, Bridger got hit in the head with a ball, and has a bit of a goose egg and headache." My reply, "he is fine. Give him a tylenol and send him back to class." Does this make me a bad mother? Maybe. I think I can live with it.

2 comments:

  1. If you would have picked him up all you would've done is give him a tylenol, right? So that just saved you a trip to the school, thus making you a great mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes saying, "No!" is the hardest part about being a mom. The frequent trips to the nurse...and sometimes home...tell me how unhappy he is in school...pretty natural for a fun-loving boy. The goose egg is pretty natural too.

    ReplyDelete